Please Verify Your Address
Before downloading a City of Long Lake permit application, please visit Hennepin County's Property Information search website to verify that the address you would like to pull a permit for is in the municipality of Long Lake. Postal districts differ from actual municipal boundaries - properties with a Long Lake zip code may actually be located in one of our neighbor cities. When you're double-checking addresses on the Hennepin County website, check to see that the "Municipality" (third line down on search results) does say LONG LAKE.
If you need further assistance verifying an address, please call us at 952-473-6961.
Completed permit applications may be jmoeller [at] longlakemn.gov (emailed to the City Clerk). Please note that if you choose to pay for your permit using a credit card, transaction fees apply.
- Building Permit Application - A Building Permit is required for new construction, additions, remodeling, and renovation projects. Common examples of projects include bedroom or bathroom additions, decks, garages, property fences, basement finishing, kitchen expansions, re-roofing, re-siding, window replacements, and garage conversions.
- Commercial Building Permit Checklist: Please review this form for the list of submittals required for commercial construction, especially those construction projects in which a land use application was required.
- Residential Building Permit Handout: Frequently Asked Questions for Your Home Improvement Projects
- Informational Handout: Deck Construction
- Informational Handout: FAQs - Residential Fences
- Informational Handout: FAQs - Business and Industrial Fences
- Informational Handout: FAQs - Accessory Structures (Sheds & Detached Garages)
- Informational Handout: FAQs - Accessory Dwelling Units
- HVAC Mechanical Permit Application - An HVAC Mechanical Permit is required for most HVAC work including, but not limited to, installation or replacement of fireplaces, gas lines, furnaces, and air conditioners.
- Plumbing Permit Application - A Plumbing Permit is required for the installation of new plumbing fixtures, the alteration of an existing plumbing system, and the installation or replacement of water heaters or water softeners.
- Electrical Permit - Permits for electrical work are issued by the Minnesota State Electrical Board and inspected by a contract State Electrical Inspector. See the link provided for permit applications and additional information. No City permit is required for electrical work.
Completed permit applications may be jmoeller [at] longlakemn.gov (emailed to the City Clerk) or mailed in to the address on the form.
Fees for Building, HVAC, and Plumbing Permits are based on valuation. View the permit fee schedule, or call City staff at 952-473-6961 for assistance. Please note that fees in the Plan Review column only apply to projects that require a plan review or commercial sign-off by our Building Official.
The City of Long Lake does not require a license for a business to be located in Long Lake; however, licensing is required for certain aspects of business operations.
If your business has an interest in selling liquor on or off sale, or tobacco products, a license is required for these activities. Please contact the City Clerk at 952-473-6961 x1 to discuss licensing requirements and/or to apply for the appropriate license.
Additionally, if you are a business looking to locate in Long Lake, please be sure to contact City staff in advance at 952-473-6961 to verify that your proposed business use is allowable at your intended location, consistent with City zoning regulations.
- Dog License - All dogs over the age of six months are required to be licensed. Completed dog license application forms must be a accompanied by a copy of each dog's certificate of rabies vaccination. Please note that a Kennel Permit (applications below) must also be obtained for the keeping of three or more dogs at a property.
- Dogs, Commercial Kennel Permit - Required for the keeping of three or more dogs at a property for boarding, breeding for sale, training facilities, and other commercial uses. Veterinary clinics are exempt from this requirement.
- Dogs, Residential Kennel Permit - Required for the keeping of three or more dogs at a property for companion animal purposes only.
- Park Facility Use Permit - City parks may be rented for your special occasion. Contact the City Clerk in advance to check for availability, or for any questions you may have about facilities available at different parks.
- Special Event Permit - A Special Event Permit application must be submitted to City staff at least 30 days prior to the start date of your proposed event. To determine whether your event requires a Special Event Permit, please contact the City Clerk at 952-473-6961 x1. Examples of events requiring a Special Event Permit include community festivals, neighborhood block parties with a street closure or taking place on the street, parades, fun runs or competitive races, fishing contests, and waterskiing tournaments.
- Accessory Structure Zoning Review Permit - This permit applies to the construction of sheds or detached garages 200 square feet or less in size.
Informational Handout: FAQs - Accessory Structures (Sheds & Detached Garages)
- Sign Permit / Permanent - A Permanent Sign Permit is required for the installation of any permanent signage. Permanent Sign Permit applications must be submitted to staff and approved prior to the installation of signage. Applications need to be accompanied by a detailed graphic showing the type, size, and design of all signage proposed.
- Sign Permit / Sandwich Board - A Sandwich Board Sign Permit is required for the use of any sandwich board sign. Sandwich Board Sign Permit applications must be submitted to staff and approved prior to the use of signage. Applications need to be accompanied by a detailed graphic showing the type, size, and design of the sandwich board sign proposed. Permits expire on December 31 of each year.
- Sign Permit / Temporary - A Temporary Sign Permit is required for the placement of temporary signage. Temporary Sign Permit applications must be submitted to staff and approved prior to the placement of signage. Applications need to be accompanied by a detailed graphic showing the type, size, and design of signage.
Right-of-Way Permit - A Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit is required for a utility or other work to be conducted in the City's right-of-way. To discuss your project with Public Works in advance, please call 952-473-6961 x4. Please be advised that a damage deposit may be required for issuance of a ROW Permit to assure restoration is properly completed.
Below is an alphabetical listing of all other City of Long Lake permits and licenses. The list also includes references to frequently asked questions about permits/licenses.
- Burn Permit - The City of Long Lake does not require any Burn Permit for residential burning provided size, location, and certain material requirements are met. Click here for detailed information on allowable residential burning.
- Noise Variance Permits - The City of Long Lake requires a Noise Variance Permit be applied for and obtained for the operation of any construction or domestic power equipment outside of permitted hours, or for the use of sound amplification equipment for musical entertainment/announcements during events. There is currently no fee for Noise Variance Permits; however, they do require City Council approval prior to issuance. It's a good rule to apply for your permit at least three weeks prior to the date of your request.